Time to conserve Chicagoans, Chicago is hiking up prices everywhere, most notably in cabs...
As of yesterday, Governor Daley approved a $1 fuel surcharge in cab fares based upon the increase in fuel prices…time to start walking, or use public transport. You will also notice price hikes in the supermarket, and Pizano’s Pizza recently added $3 to their pizza costs…WOW, time to check out the frozen pizza isle.
Ways to Save
If do not want to succumb to price hikes in Chicago, here are a few tips to saving on everyday expenditures.
- Take public transportation: Chicago has great public transportation, see schedules here. Also look for the free Navy Pier trolley when gallivanting about.
- Go to Trader Joes first: while Trader Joes does not have everything you need (especially produce), they do have a lot of options and at very good prices.
- Bypass Whole Foods: you can save $$ by not going to Whole Foods, they are dramatically overpriced, hit Dominick’s or Jewel.
- Buy generic brands: there are just as good as brand names.
- Check out 101waystosavemoney.com
- Eat in: pack your lunch and eat out one less day a week.